Creativity is the soul of innovation.
Here are some tips for you from a great article written on LinkedIn by titled “Boost Your Creativity With Simple Acts of Mindfulness”
- Reward curiosity – Most companies tend to reward creativity. Instead, if they were to reward to curiosity, it can breed even more creativity. This is not just semantics. One sets the tone for the other;
- Give employees time to think – It’s ok to be alone with your thoughts. Such mind breaks breed curiosity, create more alchemy and cross pollination. But don’t just hope that it will happen. Companies, she believes, should create the environment for mindfulness so that teams exercise their ability to concentrate.
- Learn how to filter information – Data is powerful, but it also can be be smog too. The key to success is to become good at filtering. This starts with knowing what you’re looking for in a broad context and the why. Set goals beforehand and teach your colleagues and direct reports to do the same. Be intentional in how using the web.
- Get into the flow – The modern day Holmes portrayed in the BBC program, Sherlock, never answers his cell phone. The reason: it would interrupt his flow. The message is simple. Set schedules, respect boundaries and get into flow.
- Get closer to nature – Studies show that being in nature aids mindfulness. No time for a bird break? Then get a screen saver with trees and water. Even this can help you take a few moments to focus on the present moment without any distractions.
For more on creativity, read a previous blog post “4 Ways to Lead Your Organization to Breakthrough Creativity“